Glitter eyeshadow can be intimidating and messy, but that doesn’t mean you should shy away from it! It looks gorgeous when it’s done right, and all it takes is a little practice. Once you know how to apply glitter eyeshadow properly, you’ll be rocking this look day and night. One of the best things about glitter eyeshadow is how versatile it is. You can create a more subtle look that works for daytime, or go full out with a glam nighttime look. Make it work for you whether you’re going to work or have a fancy event to attend on the weekend!
How to Choose the Right Glitter Eyeshadow
The most important aspect when it comes to applying glitter eyeshadow is having the right products and tools in your arsenal. Loose glitter is what can make glitter eyeshadow so messy, so it’s typically best to go with a liquid product that has a wand like the Stila Glitter and Glow Liquid Eye Shadow or the NYX Glitter Liquid Eyeliner. These products make it much easier to apply glitter shadow and ensure it doesn’t get all over your face.
How to Apply Glitter Eyeshadow: 5 Tips for Beginners
Glitter eyeshadow looks can really make your eyes pop, and while it may seem daunting at first, it’s surprisingly easy to learn how to apply glitter eyeshadow. Here are 5 simple beginner tips to get you started.
- Apply primer. When it comes to glitter eyeshadow, primer is a MUST. Not only does it prevent that horrible midday crease from occurring, but it also ensures your eyeshadow will stay put, which is particularly important when you’re applying glitter to your eyes! There are so many eyeshadow primers to choose from. Most opt for the classic Primer Potion by Urban Decay, but if you’re looking for a wallet-friendly option you can pick up at your local drugstore, NYX has a glitter primer that gets the job done.
- Apply a light eyeshadow all over your lids. This helps create a smooth and even-colored base to apply your glitter eyeshadow to. I prefer to use a nude color as my base as I don’t like to detract from my glitter eyeshadow, but if you want to create a more dramatic look, you can mix it up with a more vibrant color.
- Apply glitter eyeshadow directly to your lid. Start in the inner corner and sweep across your lid, ensuring to apply less product to the outer corner. You want to make sure the glitter is concentrated primarily in the inner corners of your lids to really make your eyes pop. I tend to avoid loose glitter and opt for liquid options like Stila Glitter and Glow.
- Blend with your finger. While you can spend (what feels like) hours blending different eyeshadow shades to achieve the perfect smokey eye, applying glitter eyeshadow is much easier in that there isn’t a whole lot of blending required. Simply apply, blend quickly with your fingers, and viola!
- Add a highlight color to your brown bone. There are tons of different glitter eyeshadow looks you can try (see below for the best glitter eye makeup tutorial videos!), but a great tip for beginners is to keep it simple. The glitter is meant to be the focal point of your look. With that said, adding a little highlighter to your brow bone will lift and illuminate your brows. Benefit Cosmetic’s High Brow Glow Pencil is a great choice as it’s creamy and smooth and blends soooo easily.
- Add an extra pop with eyeliner and mascara. And if you’re feeling daring, get out the fake lashes. They can REALLY pull your glitter eyeshadow look together!
Best glitter eyeshadow tutorial videos
When it comes to learning a new makeup technique, it’s always good to see how the pros do it. These simple tutorials will show you how to apply glitter eyeshadow and totally rock it!
Easy Glitter Glam Makeup Tutorial | Jaclyn Hill
Jaclyn Hill is the queen of glitter eyeshadow, and in this tutorial she shows you an in-depth step-by-step guide for how to how to apply it. It’s an easy look you can do in 15 to 20 minutes, and you can wear it from day to night. For this look, she uses the Stila Magnificent Glitter to add the glam, and other products like the Kat Von D Shade + Light Contour Palette to create the overall look. It’s is also extremely versatile; you can wear it with different lip shades and hairstyles to give off whatever vibe you’re feeling.
Best Ways to Use Glitter Eyeshadow | Modamob
This glitter eyeshadow tutorial provides an easy fix to the pain-in-the-butt glitter that won’t stay in place. She demonstrates how to blend two types of glitter eyeshadow (the NYX Glamshadow Stick and the NYX Glitter Cream Palette) to give your eyes subtle sparkle that stands out. She does glitter eyeshadow on one eye so you can see how to transform your eye makeup look from day to night! It’s a must-watch if you’re intimidated by glitter!
Glitter Glam Eye Makeup Tutorial | An Knook
This look is absolutely stunning for an event, whether it’s a wedding, concert or gala. It’s a glam look that will make your eyes pop, and you’ll need the Natasha Denona Sunset Eyeshadow Palette to create it. She shows you how to get the most colour and richness from your glitter eyeshadow without going over the top. Add gold glitter with the MAC Mixing Medium and you’re all set! If you have a special occasion coming up, this eye look will be perfect for it!
Glitter Cut Crease Eyeshadow Tutorial for Beginners | Lizeth Ramirez
This is one tutorial where she uses loose glitter eyeshadow, but she does an amazing job of showing you how to apply it flawlessly, using the Too Faced Glitter Glue to help it stay in place. She explains how to cut crease with eyeshadow, which is simply defining the crease of your eye by cutting across it with a contrasting colour, or in this case, glitter. She cuts her crease using the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer before applying the glitter. The final look is more on the intense side when it comes to glitter shadow, so it’s a great option if you have a fancy, formal function to attend!
Easy Copper Glitter Smokey Eye Makeup Tutorial | Denitslava Makeup
I love this glitter makeup look because it shows how glitter can add more life to a classic look like the smokey eye. The look is still beautiful without the glitter, but you can see how much the glitter adds to it! She also uses a liquid pen and notes how much easier and cleaner it goes on than loose powder does. I also love how she adds contour, which can be done with the Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit. This tutorial proves that glitter shadow can be done in a simple yet beautiful way.
Halo Smokey Eye | Jaclyn Hill
In this tutorial, Jaclyn Hill blends glitter eyeshadow into a smokey eye look, which is a gorgeous look for a night out. She uses purples and pinks from the Anastasia Self Made Palette to create a feminine vibe that’s also incredibly glam. She pulls the whole look together with bold brows and a matching mauve lip (Anastasia Liquid Lipstick in Sepia) that stuns. If you have events on the horizon, this tutorial will be your saving grace.
Don’t be scared of glitter eye shadow! These tutorials prove that you can get the gorgeous look without the fuss. Follow the step-by-step guides, practice, and you’ll be a pro at this look in no time!