Its World Environment Day! Make environmentally conscious choices every day with the following 10 tips.
In 1972 the United Nations (UN) designated June 5 as World Environment Day (WED). According to their website, WED “is an annual event that is aimed at being the biggest and most widely celebrated global day for positive environmental action.”
The UN acknowledges that although an international day to salute the environment is wonderful and essential, environmental activities need to be the rule rather than the exception—we need to make environmentally conscious choices every day. They aim to “enable everyone to realize not only their responsibility, but also their power to become agents for change in support of sustainable and equitable development.”
Becoming an agent of change may sound like a daunting task, but in reality, a few simple actions make a huge difference. Get started with the following 10 tips, suggested by the UN WED website:
- Choose Forestry Stewardship Council Certified (FSC) products for wood and paper whenever possible.
- Yes, recycle, but also make sure to reduce! Reduce waste by bringing cloth bags whenever you do shopping (don’t forget produce and bulk bags) and a reusable mug and water bottle when on-the-go. Even paper cups are coated with chemicals, so they take a very long time to degrade.
- Choose local, organic food whenever you have the option, as this is friendlier on the earth. And when you’re done, be a compost hero!
- Conserve resources by turning off lights, not running the water unnecessarily, and thinking of creative ways to wrap presents.
- Walk and bike when possible, or choose public transit.
- Don’t be afraid to get involved—raise issues that concern you with local politicians, speak to your friends and family, write letters and emails, and create action. Strive to better your office, school, or town through environmental projects.
- Support environmental causes through donations or volunteering your time.
- Renovate your home to save money in the long run and be more energy-efficient.
- Enjoy and preserve the green spaces around you—they’re not only essential for the environment, but also for our collective health and well-being.
- Visit the World Environment Day website for more tips and to learn more.
How are you going to celebrate World Environment Day every day? Let us know!